In the UK over 54,000 people have fertility treatment each year. For lots of couples, fertility treatment is not available on the NHS, meaning that many have to turn to private clinics. As many of you may already know, fertility treatment can be very expensive, long-winded and also very mental straining.
At Fertility Solutions, we want to make sure that all our patients have the best chance of success when having fertility treatment. Here are some of our top tips to help you out:
- Always ensure the man is assessed before you go ahead with treatment – did you know that 50% of all fertility problems are related to the male factor? Many clinics fail to test the man before the woman undergo cycles of fertility treatment. There are four tests that can be done to comprehensively assess the man’s fertility. These include:
- Semen analysis
- DNA fragmentation
- Semen culture
- Ultrasound scan
- Try to stay relaxed – fertility treatment can be very stressful, although it is easier said than done – we are here to help you through this.
- Ask all your questions – your consultant is there to help and support you along your journey, don’t be afraid to ask them any questions you may have – there is no such thing as a silly question, it is important that you understand the process.
- Look at all the fertility options – there are lots of different fertility treatments. It is important that you do your own research and discuss everything with your consultant to ensure that you have the best possible outcome. This can be as simple as assessing the male partner first to make sure that you are starting your fertility journey from the best possible place.
- Lifestyle changes – your fertility can be affected by your lifestyle. Before you go begin your fertility treatments, you should aim to improve factors that may be affecting your fertility. This can include:
- Have a balanced diet
- Stop smoking and reduce alcohol intake
- Reduce caffeine
- Loose excess weight
Out of all the points we have raised, we believe that getting the male partner tested before you start your fertility journey is the most important. Many couples come to us after failed fertility treatments and so often, after a few simple male fertility investigations, we are able to approach their fertility from a different angle and improve their chances of success.